ADT Alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a ADT alarm system installed, the contract is ending in couple of months and I don't want to renew it.

Can I possibly attach a dialer which dials a set of numbers if it is tripped?

Would this be difficult to do? I talked to ADT about it, they said they can't advise and recommend I continue with their service.

I think we have a galaxy system, its got a wired keypad and siren. Its connected to the police aswell

Please advise

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We have a ADT alarm system installed, the contract is ending in couple of months and I don't want to renew it.

Can I possibly attach a dialer which dials a set of numbers if it is tripped?

Would this be difficult to do? I talked to ADT about it, they said they can't advise and recommend I continue with their service.

I think we have a galaxy system, its got a wired keypad and siren. Its connected to the police aswell

Please advise

Thanks
They meant, won't advise & want you to continue with their service.

Hi,

Unless you have given three months written notification that you want to end the contract it will roll on for another 18 months or three years whichever is in your small print.

If the contract only has a couple of months to go and you haven't already written to them to cancel then you will be stuck with it.

...and to answer your question, YES, you can fit a speech dialler. It is fairly straightforward but you won't have the ADT engineers code so you need to be careful how much you do.

Sponsored Links
We had exactly the same, an ADT system with expired contract in a house we just bought. I asked ADT to look at it and they gladly quoted engineers fee of £52 then £27 a month for monitoring over a min 3 year contract (total £1024 plus another £300+ to BT for line rental) to phone a list of numbers if the alarm was triggered. The system was fairly old and of course they won't divulge the engineers code.

They also told me the bell boxes were dummies so I decided to switch the panel for a Texe Veritas and add a GSM dialler myself. Total £160 less £35 I got for the old panel on Ebay.

Oh, the bell started ringing when I pulled the lid off the panel so ADT were wrong about it being a dummy! Had to use the battery to hold that off for a day whilst I switched panels, added a couple of new detectors etc.

I reckon I've saved myself £1k plus over 3 years we'd have been stuck with ADT. We used the 7 day cooling off period but I'm glad I copied everything as ADT were pretty slow to unhook us from the contract and confirm this.

Now, an alarm trigger calls us and we can call back to reset the alarm, ring the neighbours and confirm all is well. This is the third Texe system I've installed and been pleased with them all.

We had exactly the same, an ADT system with expired contract in a house we just bought. I asked ADT to look at it and they gladly quoted engineers fee of £52 then £27 a month for monitoring over a min 3 year contract (total £1024 plus another £300+ to BT for line rental) to phone a list of numbers if the alarm was triggered. The system was fairly old and of course they won't divulge the engineers code.

They also told me the bell boxes were dummies so I decided to switch the panel for a Texe Veritas and add a GSM dialler myself. Total £160 less £35 I got for the old panel on Ebay.

Oh, the bell started ringing when I pulled the lid off the panel so ADT were wrong about it being a dummy! Had to use the battery to hold that off for a day whilst I switched panels, added a couple of new detectors etc.

I reckon I've saved myself £1k plus over 3 years we'd have been stuck with ADT. We used the 7 day cooling off period but I'm glad I copied everything as ADT were pretty slow to unhook us from the contract and confirm this.

Now, an alarm trigger calls us and we can call back to reset the alarm, ring the neighbours and confirm all is well. This is the third Texe system I've installed and been pleased with them all.

How do I find out what type of system I have installed? I thinks galaxy honeywell something..

Also, which speech dialier would be best for this system.

A ADT engineer did give him his card for any "private work" which I can get done...so I might give him a call and see what he says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back