Advice about rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

We live in an old cottage, some 150 years old, good sound walls but have been colour washed with a variety of paints over the years.
I'd love to have it rendered, but are wondering whether the cost would be big .... as it is a big cottage, but I guess all the paint would have to come off .... am I right?
Or is it ok just to get it back to a good solid base from which to work?
I am looking for a good contractor to give us a price for a good job, in the N.Lincs area, 12 outside Scunthorpe.

Thx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Two solutions, Shot blast back to brick or fix mesh.

The first being the cheapest. then its a question of scaffold cost.

Render materials are reletivley cheap if using sand and cement.

I would always suggest stainless steel beading as galvanised constantly fail.

Two coat work will set you back 10-12 pounds per m2

If you get stuck give me a pm, im lincs area.

A lime render always acts better as it still lets your walls breathe, looks prettier also and no real need to decorate ;)

Thx for the reply SPC ..

I had a guy over in the early summer, and we tried some trial runs on bits of wall using soda blasting ... frankly it was messy, caused mess in my neighbours, but worst of all, it blew chunks of brickwork facing off in places.
Am I right in assuming the mesh is screwed to the wall? ... and then a rough scratch coat, and final smooth applied afterwards?
I quite like the sound of the lime render, how do you get a uniform colour to it, as clearly there would be a lot of mixes?

I'll do a fairly accurate count up of surface area, and drop you a pm.
(once I've found out how to do it ;) ) ...
It would be my last job, as I'm having new windows fitted in December, the render would then finish it off nicely.
So if I do a count up, and multiply by the figure you quoted, that would be a rough guide to price?
So far as scaffold is concerned, most could be done off a brake-wheel mobile platform ... as it isn;t 2 storeys as such ... it's dormered at the back.

batch mix your lime and sand for uniformity, that way the colour stays the same throughout the project

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back