Damp Bedroom Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old (1860) cornish cottage. The walls seem to be built in a mixture of mud and stone and we have a damp patch near the ceiling in the bedroom. The wall is inside of the gable end.

I have considered the following:
- There was an old flat roof extension joining on to the pitched roof but this has now been replaced with fibreglass.
- There is a chimney directly above the damp. It has a good cowell on it, the render is all solid and I had the flashing replaced at the same time the flat roof was done.
- There were a few cracks in the exterior render, but these have all been chased out and filled by a builder.

The next thing I am going to consider is having the whole of the exterior wall re-rendered (or cement washed) as recommended by a friend.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It's nearly always condensation from the chimney.

As Joe says, chimney masonry can throw all kinds of unusual damp scenarios at you without actually having any external (rain) water ingress.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies!

The chimney was lined about 2 years ago with a flexible metal liner. Any suggestions on how to stop the condensation coming through?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back