Advice about sound insulating a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since my neighbour upstairs bought a new sound system I have had to deal with persistent noise issues.

I've tried to deal with this by talking to him and he will turn it down now on request. But the low frequency sound from the beat of his music still disturbs me a lot. He owns his flat and I know the limitations of going to environmental health or the management agency.

I would like to try some sound insulation. I live in a Georgian house with very low levels of sound insulation - I can also hear him walking around, talking, coughing etc. The neighbour upstairs just has thin carpets down and the sound also seems to travel down the walls.

I have quite high ceilings so I could get sound insulation fitted to my ceiling. I am wondering if that would work if and what would be the best approach to doing it? He's put his sound system on some furniture to reduce the sound problems but it hasn't helped that much.

I'm more likely to pay for someone else to do it than do it myself but am trying to work out what's the best thing to pay for and whether it would work. Many thanks indeed for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Out of all the problems on the forum, sound insulation has the poorest results. Come back if you sort it.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I appreciate it, partic the link to a useful company.

I know it's expensive and I know it isn't a perfect solution by any means. I suppose what I'm trying to work out is what realistically can be achieved and whether it would be worth it for that money. Getting rid of the persistent, low frequency thump when his music is turned down fairly low would make a big difference to my quality of life and might be worth the outlay.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work mate. Save your money.

You don't need fancy sound systems. The best solution is ceiling joists fixed to side walls - you need solid side walls to fix to. Infill with acoustic mineral wool. Overboard with 2 layers 15mm dbcheck board and seal edges with acoustic sealant. I've fitted dozens of different systems to housing association flats and that system is as good as any of the fancy expensive materials. Done properly it will reduce sound transfer significantly - but almost nothing can reduce it completely. Allow about £100 to £120 per square metre depending. You will also have to clear out the whole room and you will lose any covings and mouldings on the original ceiling.

Listen to Jeds,

This is pretty much the detail that building control seek between flats these days and is quite easy to have put in as long as you've got lots of ceiling height.

The trouble with getting good sound resistance results is that the principle of the detailing has to be carried out by skilled people with good workmanship.

Important things to remember are things such as not fixing the new ceiling to the existing floor, and using flexible mastic sealant at all junctions. If these principles get bodged, then it completely undermines the purpose. You can find more details by searching for building control approved document part E... which contains some useful details which can be applied to your building type as well as some minimum steps to take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back