Options for filling top of cavity wall for sound insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fit a suspended ceiling for sound insulation from them upstairs, however all my walls are plasterboard with an unfilled cavity behind. Filling the cavity for heat insulation would be nice, but I'm more concerned with stopping noise coming down the sides and rendering my ceiling useless.

What options do I have for sound proofing a wall like this?

I was hoping to be able to put something in the top of the cavities that would do the trick, wondering if some kind of spray foam would be the only option here without having to take the walls down.

I really need a solution to this, we've just bought this flat in a converted building with no sound insulation whatsoever and the noise from upstairs is quickly driving us mad!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if its a recent conversion then it should be insulated to quite a high standard heat 'sound' fire wise before you buy it
as in planning would not be granted without meeting building reg requirements

if it fails on one or two its bound to fail on the third :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if its a recent conversion then it should be insulated to quite a high standard heat 'sound' fire wise before you buy it
as in planning would not be granted without meeting building reg requirements

Unfortunately I think it was converted in the 1960s or 1970s, so no building regs and as far as I can tell there is no insulation at all.

Spray=foam may give you some relief if you put in enough to fill all possible holes as very small holes can transmit lots of noise, however if you go this route you will prevent yourself from properly reducing the noise long-term.

Since mass is the best damper - sand was the material of choice many years ago - the best material available to you is fibre-wool batts.

If you go this route you need to be careful as all insulation companies have started describing any insulation as "acoustic" and what you need is highly-compressed fibre . You may need to search and compare the different weights/m2 between the different products to avoid the marketing-speak.

I think the true acoustic products are about three times heavier than simple insulation.

Sponsored Links
If the sound energy is travelling down your plasterboard wall then there's little point insulating behind it.

We get these posts endlessly and the magic rule is - stop the vibration getting into the structure as it's too late when it is.

Well, in that case Joe. get your post a made a sticky and stop all these silly people posting

No-one has ever come back and said they've sorted it. Plenty have come back and said they haven't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back