Advice and reassurance please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted prev about a brown spot on ceiling in bedroom.

The gutter cleaning guy took a look and said the first 2 rows of tiles have a lot of damage.

When I bought my house the neighbour said the previous owner had it re-felted and tiles re laid recently so I hoped all was well.

So, the first row he said 15/21 tiles were chipped or cracked, showed me a hole where water getting in.

He said he felt the batons where he could and they felt wet but not rotten.

At one end he showed me the wall plate the batons fit in to and that did look messy, green and prob rotten.

Is this typically a new roof job? I’m going to struggle paying for that. I presume if the whole roof isn’t rotten then it can be repaired?

He said the back of the house was fine, and I’ve been in that loft loads and touched the batons and they all felt dry as a bone, i am guessing it’s like joists that can be sistered if the ends are rotten?

Really worried about large costs and know f all about roofs.

He said some roofers will just push me down the new roof route. Can anyone advise on approx cost (am hoping don’t need scaffolding) and what happens if a lot of the ends are rotted and the wall plate is rotten?

A very concerned and stressed homeowner struggling to pay his bills!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When I read this it made me wonder if what you're calling a batten is what we'd call a batten

Agree with Alastair; pics please!
I probably have this wrong. I mean the big lengths of wood that come down from the top beam and go into the wall.

Sponsored Links
The gutter guy is sending the close up pics tomorrow. Will post them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back