Leak (Repair2019)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a heavy rainfall in Jan 2019 I noticed a leak on the ceiling in the hallway, covering an area of about 8 x 3 inches. I phoned a roofing company and someone came out a few days later to inspect and informed me that the felt was rotten and needed replacing. His quote was worded: To remove bottom course of tiles and install felt as on bottom course as current felt rotten. To point in 4 ridge tiles. I agreed for him to carry out the work. After a heavy rainfall a few days ago the same thing happened again (2 years 4 months later). I phoned same roofing company and someone came and had a look today and said that the problem now is the moss on the roof and it needs removing. He said that he can't see any problem with the tiles.(He wasn't the same person that inspected the first time) Just seems strange that the leak is in exactly the same place as the repair that was done in the first place. Could he be right about the moss causing the leak in exactly the same place? Although I've lived in property for 12 years I believe the age of the roof is roughly 45 years. He is going to send me a quote for removing the moss. Or I'm thinking that maybe it's time to replace the roof.

I've just received the quote for removing the moss.
Clean any moss from blocked water channel's on tiles.
Also inspect for any damaged tiles and change where necessary. Front of property only.
Price £360 incl VAT

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply Andy.
Yes I'm just in the process of doing that.

Sue

If he replaced rotten felt at the eaves the 1st time and it cured it, he should replace the felt at the eaves again only do it properly with eave trays which are uv resistant and don't rot the same as the felt did.

Sponsored Links
Forget about the moss nonsense unless it is blocking up valleys etc.

Thank you for your reply Alastairreid.
I'm going to see what other roofing companies say when they come and inspect the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back