Survey for possible purchase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post!

Possibly purchasing period property with slate roof. Roof on one side (where there are lots of trees) is covered in moss. This is not a question on how to remove moss (have read all the posts already on this forum!) but does the moss need to be removed in order for a full survey to take place?

I know the survey will say "moss needs to be removed from the roof" plus all the various caveats surveys come with these days however the vendor is the type who keeps saying before any survey has taken place that he will not accept any findings! So in a long winded way I am asking is it worth asking the vendor to remove the moss prior to the survey taking place so the roof can be examined both from inside and out, rather than have to negotiate with the vendor post survey if the findings are the moss needs to be removed to enable a full inspection of the roof to take place?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

E.

Sponsored Links
If the roof is not leaking and there are no dislodged slates, then chances are its fine.
I reckon most surveyors would recommend removal off the moss at the earliest convenience as moss can dam up gutters and laps causing problems, but these issues will be evident to a competent surveyor if it is already happening.

An inspection/report is most likely to recommend the removal of the moss to prolong the life of the roof but I wouldn't let them get away with saying it can't be inspected because of moss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back