Foam on the underside of roofing tiles to make them watertig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of purchasing a semi-detached and the home buyers survey has shown up a problem with the roof. In 2004, the vendors had foam applied to the underside of the roofing tiles to create a watertight seal in the lofts of both sides of the semi - they owned both - and still do. The house is dated as 1870. The guarantee on this foam is 25 years. There are now missing and chipped tiles on the roof. The surveyor says that condensation will form in the loft and cause problems and it would be best to have the foam removed. This means completely replacing the roof. An independent roofer has stated that as the job will take 2-3 times as long, it will be much more expensive and that I will have difficulty in finding a roofer who would want to do the job - if they have any experience of working with this foam. Does anyone have any experience of removing a roof with this foam treatment or any remarks to make that might help me decide whether to continue with my offer on the house?

Sponsored Links
It is not a good job strippimg of all that foam, personally i would probably add about £500 labour for a typical semi.

Thanks Palaceray. So charging twice the price for the job would be taking the mic? He quoted £10,000 for both sides of the semi and then suggested doubling the price for the removal of the foam - and siad it would take a month to do. Does that sound right?

It will take much longer due to the foam, plus the hassle factor, plus you will have 100% loss on tiles, slates.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the roof is to be covered in interlocking tiles i would expect it to take 2 men about 6 days.
Maybe about 5k ish but that is only a rough idea without more detail of the roof and builing.

We stripped a coupleof houses that had foam insulation a while ago and it took about a day and half to remove it all and skip it.

Palaceray

What were the reasons for having those roofs with the foam on the back removed? as this is quite a new and costly procedure to have applied to a tile roof. Our vendors paid £15,000 in 2004 and were given a 25 year guarantee. We want the roof removed on our house because of the possible cost in the future and we are just coming up to pension age, so we would like this problem sorted before we complete on the house.

Why did your clients have their treated roofs removed?

I'm in the process of purchasing a semi-detached and the home buyers survey has shown up a problem with the roof. In 2004, the vendors had foam applied to the underside of the roofing tiles to create a watertight seal in the lofts of both sides of the semi - they owned both - and still do. The house is dated as 1870. The guarantee on this foam is 25 years. There are now missing and chipped tiles on the roof. The surveyor says that condensation will form in the loft and cause problems and it would be best to have the foam removed. This means completely replacing the roof. An independent roofer has stated that as the job will take 2-3 times as long, it will be much more expensive and that I will have difficulty in finding a roofer who would want to do the job - if they have any experience of working with this foam. Does anyone have any experience of removing a roof with this foam treatment or any remarks to make that might help me decide whether to continue with my offer on the house?

I wonder what other might think, but the surveyor stating that condensation will form, seems a little vague to me...why - where - and what would be the consequences. Does the other semi roof suffer from condensation? are both lofts fitted out in the same way, or is yours a living area??...pinenot

In my limited experience, most all these spray on's are rubbish - they can actually cause various, further difficulties. They could have sprayed water and play-glue and got a better result.
The guarantee will be worthless.
If a roof needs fixing, then it needs fixing properly.

In brief madrid, dont buy the place unless it's a great deal.

The slate or tile can be stripped and cleaned and re-used. Who in their right mind would throw away slate? Tile, depending on the profile and the age, is a different proposition - it can be done, but would it be worth it?

Some of the above prices - job unseen, are odd. Her's a thing: anyone self-employed who works for wages ( cheap jobs ) is a fool, and will lose out bad in the long run. Go back to cards-in employment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back