Advice - cost of removing 9 metre privet hedge with fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Next door to us is a development of 4 new houses. They are replacing the side boundary fencing and we asked about whether they could do a bit extra at the end of the Garden.

There is an old, straggling privet hedge about 8 ft high and 9 metres wide. Our neighbour has said we can go ahead, which is good as the reason it has bolted is that they never cut their side!

So, we have a quote of £1000 to remove the privet hedge and roots (with a digger) and fit new fencing with concrete posts, concrete bottom boards and wooden fencing.

How does this sound as a quote?

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK to me, we had an old fence removed and replaced for around 800 for 8 panels but no trees or roots to come out. You should get some more local quotes though

I thought it was a bit steep but as you say I need to get another quote.
What do others think?

Also, where could I find someone who could do a good job?

It's not unreasonable if it is a formal 'through the books' job.

If it's lads on a job doing a bit on the side with free access to the firm's digger it's going to be pretty profitable for them.

Sponsored Links
I thought it was a bit steep but as you say I need to get another quote.
What do others think?

Also, where could I find someone who could do a good job?

There will be a local fencing company or two, most suppliers will fit too, if there are a couple of them get quotes from both and compare. You can always try your local ad mag for odd job men/garden landscapers etc who can also do it, there are many options normally.

A quick update.

I have just spoken to the developer who has told me that the contractor can come down to £900. But then it is £160 a day labour and £27 for each fence panel!!!

This just seems a lot to me?

:idea: Get... More.... Quotes...... :idea:

Fence panels retail would be around £25 plus £13 for each post and £9 per gravel board plus cement.

Personally, I'd bite their hand off at that price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back