Advice (Drill)

1 Makita li-ion is equal to 3 or 4 ni-cad. Li-ions charge in 15 minutes and last all day.

the one your picked out looks spot BUT only accepts 13mm bits :(

Dan

It's not the size of the drill. The shank on a 22mm masonry drill bit is typically 10mm (or less) so it will fit in a 13mm chuck.

Sponsored Links
1 Makita li-ion is equal to 3 or 4 ni-cad. Li-ions charge in 15 minutes and last all day.

Dan

It's not the size of the drill. The shank on a 22mm masonry drill bit is typically 10mm (or less) so it will fit in a 13mm chuck.

Is it just me or does anybody else find the Li-ion batteries not as powerful for screwing in 4" screws..

pred, that was true of years ago but not of the modern stuff. I've got an 18v Makita drill and an impact driver that I've had for about 5 years and the batteries are as fresh as new. I partly agree if the drill won't get used though. No point spending good money if it's going to sit in the back of the garage.

Dan

Is it just me or does anybody else find the Li-ion batteries not as powerful for screwing in 4" screws..

My other post was in reply to your first - not this one.

No. My tiny little impact driver will send in a 100mm screw with such ease it makes me laugh.

Sponsored Links
I've recently bought a JCB 20v lithium powered cordless drill/driver, I'm sure it does not have the same grunt as the ordiary batteries... :cry:

Not just the power of the driver/drill that counts.
PLEASE try 'ASSY' screws.

Easy to drive in and guess what ? even easier to get out .
Cost a bit more--but 'WURTH' every penny.

WURTH being the manufacturer of the screws.

my point is i want to be able to drill out a 22m hole in masonry and use the drill for DIY around the house.

dont want to buy a drill just to be able to drill out the 22m hole and have to buy another for other jobs.
You'll never get a drill that will do everything. A 22mm masonry hole is pushing a Makita cordless but it will do the odd one in brick and block with no problem - it just won't do 20 a day. Apart from that it will be the most useful drill you ever own. I recently bought this Makita in Screwfix with one battery and charger for £119. Absolute bargain. (yes I know is says max masonry 13mm but it will do more. Just not day in day out.)

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bh...5968?gclid=CKLR4_fQiLYCFYfJtAod2EUAjA[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply and example.

is it better to have 1 li-ion battery or 2 ni-cad? will the chuck on this drill accept the 22mm bit?

sorry for my newbie questions - just some drills only accept 13mm tops dont they?

Good luck if you're going to try and drill a 22mm hole in a wall with a 18v cordless. I've got the 18v makita lithium iron and they're next to useless on brick with a 6mm bit never mind a 22.

Dan

Just read this. So I'm being an idiot! I can go but a 15mm drill bit and use it with a 13mm chuck

As I said, it won't do it all day long but it's definitely manageable as long as you take your time. And if the brick is very hard do it in stages - as suggested above. After that it is a very useful drill to have around.

Sponsored Links
Back