Advice (Drill)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

i need to drill a hole for a outisde tap (large enough for a 15mm pipe inside a plastic tube).

i have been wanting to buy a decent drill for some time now but do not want to buy one that -

a) cant do the above

or

b) can do the above but is not much use as a household DIY drill.

saw this drill on offer and thought it looked like what i needed, any suggestions?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-blue-professional-gbh-2000-2kg-sds-plus-drill-240v/32868#

Sponsored Links
That will certainly do the job but it's far too heavy to be a useful all round DIY drill. You could get a Makita cordless impact drill/driver for about the same money and that will be a LOT more useful as an all rounder.

have you got a link. an all rounder is definitely what i need, just thought that the drill bit i need to drill the outside wall would not fit in an all rounder.

i need to be able to use a 22mm drill bit - for the 15mm copper pipe and waste pipe sheathing.

That will certainly do the job but it's far too heavy to be a useful all round DIY drill. You could get a Makita cordless impact drill/driver for about the same money and that will be a LOT more useful as an all rounder.

Id second this.

I have a cheap £30 corded drill from wicks for general use, and it's more than adequate for DIY, but for a cordless drill the makita's i've used have been great.

I don't think you want to spend £100 on a corded drill if it's for DIY.

Sponsored Links
I disagree, especially at that price.

I'd snap that one up and to go with it, I'd buy a less heavy duty cordless drill/driver.

Sorry. :oops:

Missed the bit about DIY. I was thinking from a trades perspective.

my point is i want to be able to drill out a 22mm hole in masonry and use the drill for DIY around the house.

dont want to buy a drill just to be able to drill out the 22mm hole and have to buy another for other jobs.

my point is i want to be able to drill out a 22m hole in masonry and use the drill for DIY around the house.

dont want to buy a drill just to be able to drill out the 22m hole and have to buy another for other jobs.
Well i use the bosch to drill 25mm holes for pipes and to hang rads,pipe clips etc,it's a good all rounder.

my point is i want to be able to drill out a 22m hole in masonry and use the drill for DIY around the house.

dont want to buy a drill just to be able to drill out the 22m hole and have to buy another for other jobs.
You'll never get a drill that will do everything. A 22mm masonry hole is pushing a Makita cordless but it will do the odd one in brick and block with no problem - it just won't do 20 a day. Apart from that it will be the most useful drill you ever own. I recently bought this Makita in Screwfix with one battery and charger for £119. Absolute bargain. (yes I know is says max masonry 13mm but it will do more. Just not day in day out.)

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bh...ttery-p15968?gclid=CKLR4_fQiLYCFYfJtAod2EUAjA

You'll never get a drill that will do everything. A 22mm masonry hole is pushing a Makita cordless but it will do the odd one in brick and block with no problem - it just won't do 20 a day. Apart from that it will be the most useful drill you ever own. I recently bought this Makita in Screwfix with one battery and charger for £119. Absolute bargain. (yes I know is says max masonry 13mm but it will do more. Just not day in day out.)

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bh...5968?gclid=CKLR4_fQiLYCFYfJtAod2EUAjA[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply and example.

is it better to have 1 li-ion battery or 2 ni-cad? will the chuck on this drill accept the 22mm bit?

sorry for my newbie questions - just some drills only accept 13mm tops dont they?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/195534

Cheap £30 quid drill, you'd laugh at it as a tradesman, but for general DIY it does the job.

I've used it to drill masonry, and to drill various bit's of wood, make some joinery (wardrobes, bookshelves, a bed), shelving.

But if you are going to spend a ton, spend it on a decent cordless as others have recommended, don't buy a cheap cordless.

1 Makita li-ion is equal to 3 or 4 ni-cad. Li-ions charge in 15 minutes and last all day.

I recently bought this Makita in Screwfix with one battery and charger for £119. Absolute bargain.

I walked into screwfix once and the guy offered me the daily special for £49.
It was an 18v SITE cordless drill with 3 batteries and i snapped his hand off as SITE drills for screwfix are rebadged MAKITA and for 3 years now it's been fantastic.
For a corded drill i would not put anyone off buying an AEG drill.

I bought the

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...JPJjZgIAM&sqi=2&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=921

Its a good drill, i got it from Macro about a year ago for £100, I would not buy a cordless Makita if you're not going to use it & abuse it every day, you'll use it once, dig it out of the garage 12 months later, the battery will probably be flat and the batteries do not last for ever, they are about 90% of the cost price of a cordless drill, if its just to do one hole pop round to your local hire shop and hire a Hilti te 52 for a few hours.

Sponsored Links
Back