Advice? Excessive condensation at base of bath mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a new bath mixer last week for £66, it is a waterfall style tap with a rounded spout, described as "Solid brass chrome plated mono bathroom bath mixer tap". I fitted it to the bath this weekend successfully, with only a moderate amount of cursing and bloodied knuckles - I didnt discover the existence of the "basin wrench" until i'd completed the job with an adjustable wrench which was far too large for the working space!

Anyway I have left a hole in the bath side so I could keep checking this week that there are no leaks, and fortunately so far things are as dry as a bone - Until the sudden appearance of condensation around the base of the cold tap, underneath the bath, when I actually use the tap to run a hot bath. I've tested this and it is definatlely condensation occuring only during use, not a leak. It is enough to cause drips, but barely covers the bottom of a small jug I placed underneath, and stops once the taps have cooled. However, the original tap I removed was not doing that, at least I presume it was not - under the bath was extremely dry and no sign of water damage on the plasterboard.

Is it normal for a mixer tap to condense like this, or is it because of cheap materials conducting the heat through the tap?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back