Advice for building my own drive way 2-door gate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I would be really grateful for some advice on putting up a wooden security gate down the side of my house.

The gap is about 8 feet between my house and nextdoor's fence.

I was hoping to stick in two horizontal gates posts and put a vertical one along the top for extra support.

The fence post that is going to be attached to my house is going to sit over a concrete drive.

The other fence post is going to have to be buried as it sits over an 18" inch gap between my drive and nextdoor's fence,

Just a few issues about the gate posts:

1. What sort of size should I be looking for, given that it is going to be a double gate? I was thinking 5"x5" (125mm x 125mm).
2. What treatments should I carry out on the post before doing any mounting/burying?
3. What is the best way to attach such a post to the side of a house?
4. I have heard that if you mount a post over concrete (like I am doing on one side) that you should really leave a gap to prevent lying water from getting into the post. Is this true and, if so, how much of a gap?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
I used 4inch posts, ready treated.Spanning the top adds considerable strength to the set up.I split my gates to 1/3 and 2/3's with a by fold on the 2/3, saves opening up a large gate for bike and pedestrian access.
Small gap 10mm or so will stop it soaking up ground water.
Screw or bolt to wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back