Advice for Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having my garden done next week and wanted advice on what to purchase for the electrics. This is what i am going to have.

1. 12v LED Outdoor deck lights, the mains plug is the transformer which has to be loacted inside. ( so can sort out hole in wall to garage)

2. Need a pond pump and a mister (fogger).

I was thinking of SWA cables in the garden along the edge or under decking, dont want it buried underground. Also the Homeeasy 440 outdoor box.

All this running from a 13a FCU in the garage, would it be a good idea and get a Garage cosumer unit, as i think the power runs of my downstairs socket ring into garage, (new build thats how they done it)

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
  1. This is all notifiable, so from that POV you should get an electrician.
  2. From the questions you're asking it is clear that you are not competent to be doing electrical design and installation work, particularly outside and involving consumer units. You cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking whatever questions happen to occur to you, you cannot learn all the things you need to know in the space of less than a week, so from those POVs you should get an electrician.
  3. You will not have the ability to test your work for safety when it's done so from that POV you should get an electrician.
  4. Please get an electrician.

Hi,

I know its notifiable and i am not doing it myself, i have not mentioned that i will be doing it myself anywhere in that post.

I have people coming in to the job, but i am purchasing the goods, hence why i need advice, not in installing but what to buy etc.

thanks

Why don't you ask the "people" who are coming to do it as their signature will be on the certificate !

Sponsored Links
because i wanted to know if there is more that i can suggest rather than give me bog standard design ideas, thats why to ask on forums like this for ideas.

for example someone may have a better idea on how to design it, or some new fancy product that i havent seen or my guys havent seen etc, like to take a little bit of everyones idea and then use bits out of it.

1. There aren't any new fancy products in the field of armoured cable and small CUs, and there is nothing about your stated functionality which is not bog standard.
  2. Whatever you buy will cost you more than if you have your electrician supply it.
  3. If you buy something your electrician doesn't like he may not want to fit it, or he may not offer you a warranty, or he may take longer to fit it and therefore have to charge you more.
  4. If you buy something completely unsuitable, or do a design which is unacceptable your electrician will flatly refuse to have anything to do with it. For example, is it possible to gland armoured cable into the Homeasy 440?. You may not make product selection and design decisions for your electrician. You may tell him what you'd like, but he is the only one who can agree that it can be done.
  5. You may not want the cable to be buried, but if that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back