Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to install a water feature, and some lighting in my garden.

I plan to connect to the garage electrics, which is wired from the consumer unit in the house to an RCD in the garage (Via shielded cable)

The garage has two radial curcuits - 1 for light, 1 for power.

Currently its like this...
(Excuse the cr*ppy diagram, hope it makes sense!)

____
RCD|----|SWITCH|----|STRIP-LIGHT|
|
RCD|----|DBL-SKT|----|DBL-SKT|----|EXT-SWITCH|----|OUTDOOR-LIGHT|

I plan to add a junction box to between the double sockets, this will feed a double exterior switch, from which the lights and fountain will be powered.

I havent investigated the lights yet, I appreciate these may low voltage be fed from a transformer, so it may be a case of having the transformer in the garage, with both the mains and low voltage cables coming out of the garage.

I would appreciate any ideas/views/advice on all of this.

Cheers! :D

Simon.

Sponsored Links
I plan to add a junction box to between the double sockets, this will feed a double exterior switch, from which the lights and fountain will be powered.

Wait, wait, woah... switch? Or Switched FCU?

Use a switched FCU, please... or an unswitched FCU controlling the switch if you must. Use a three amp fuse.

EDIT: And as FWL said, check that the switch to the outside light is an FCU!

The same should also be the case for the OUTSIDE LIGHT that is already there!!

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to plug both lights and pump into your sockets (separate socket each) you could even consider a "plug in timer" for your pump and another for the lights (lights coming on later than pump)

this way you do not need external switches.

Also you can get transformers that are weatherproof and you can even get a transformer that is water proof this is a specialy designed transformer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back