Advice for Lime plaster walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently brought a cottage that is quite old and clearly has lime plaster in places. Some areas have been replaced with modern plaster (kitchen for example) and others have had modern plaster skimmed over the lime plaster...

My problem - the room I want to paint is currently covered with emulsion paint – I think there are two layers judging by the colours I get when I did some test sanding…the sanding proved that it was a very bad idea so now I am open to advice…

Ideally I want to get the emulsion off and then use a clay paint but I have no idea how to do it. Sanding failed (coarse and fine, machine and by hand – all same result) and scraping is not touching it. Any suggestions on its removal?

I also have two rooms with a significant amount of wall paper that have been on the walls for a long time – again lime plaster behind them. I know a steamer is a bad idea but I have never used anything else. Some people have suggested chemical strippers for the paper but they have no idea if they are ok to use against lime plaster…any thoughts?

thanks all.
Leigh.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back