Advice for tiling backing board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm doing the prep work for a shower room at the moment. The room was fully tiled before and on removal of the tiles I found they had all pulled away from the wall and hardly attached at all. The wall behind is block work with plaster skim on top.

So I'm left with a patchy and dusty skim coat which doesn't seem up to the job of holding some potentially heavy tiles.

I suspect the average diyer would blob some Pva about and tile it up but I suspect that's what caused this mess last time!

My plan at the moment is to apply some kind of backer board which is both insulating and water proof and hang the tiles on top.

I'm looking at a product called Jackoboard. Has anyone got any experience with this stuff and does my plan sound ok? It's not going to be a wet room floor as I intend to install a shower tray but I'd rather go overkill than end up with water where it shouldn't be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've no experience with Jackoboard but it seems to be a basic backer board.
You could fix it to the walls - ask the Mfr for best fixing practice details.
You could alternatively use a sand and lime or a sand and cement render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back