Advice in removing internal plaster beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a number of window reveals that might need to have the existing metal corner beads removed. I am looking for any advice on a way to remove the beads without causing too much damage to the rest of the wall. Any first-hand advice would be appreciated?

We known that the existing the beads are plastered on, not nailed.

Sponsored Links
Place a straight edge just to the side of the bead (beads are usually 22mm so go around 25mm) and score a strong clean line with a knife and that will minimise the tear out of plaster when you remove the beads.

Thanks for your response, that was my first thought, however the plasterers seem very uneasy about doing this.

Sponsored Links
Place a straight edge just to the side of the bead (beads are usually 22mm so go around 25mm) and score a strong clean line
I've used a tungsten carbide segment blade on a multitool to do similar (on a small scale) - it was slow going, but a neat job.
I dare say an angle grinder with a diamond blade could do it much faster, but messily!

They haven't offered any better options, they want to over-bead and plaster all the surrounding walls - which is not feasible.

I was thinking of using an oscillating saw with a curved blade to run down the edges, if a knife wasn't up to the job.

Do you think removal of the beads is a reasonable option for 9 windows (only left and right reveals)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back