Advice needed about front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first of all I'm new here so if this is in the wrong section I apologise.

I'm after some advice on my front garden and maybe an estimate including labor. It's quite a big job that needs doing as it's in a pretty poor state. I'd like the front wall rendered, the broken bits such as the steps etc all sorted, the bricks on the top of the walls need replacing too. I'd also like to get slabs down and have a metal fence going around it with a gate.

I don't have any experience with this sort of thing and I'm after some solid advice on what steps I need to take to get it all sorted. I've included lots of pics to give you a good idea on what needs to be done, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've also included a picture of next door's garden giving the general idea of what I want done (try and imagine it without the big shed if possible haha).

The dimensions of the garden is approx 18 feet wide and 14 feet from the front of the house to the front wall if that helps at all.

By the way I live in the South Wales valleys, New Tredegar to be exact so if anyone knows any reliable builders than can help with this issue then that'd be great too.

Any help appreciated, thanks a lot in advance.

Here's the pics...

o3ypgFp.jpg

0rbJIav.jpg

n1USUGG.jpg

OUBYC1o.jpg

kpS9QH8.jpg

An5dX7o.jpg

DYKAgHx.jpg

qQqTL1C.jpg

bDmFsjD.jpg

ul86SLB.jpg

6CItCYX.jpg

bxhdixB.jpg

B9M1poc.jpg

YFBOAhP.jpg

Here's a link to the imgur album in case there's a problem with the pics...

http://imgur.com/a/66MHC

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your step treads look like they are nice slabs of stone so salvage those and rebuild the risers out of bricks.

The wall looks like it is made of entirely the wrong type of blocks. to be crumbling away so badly means they may well be an aerated block or lightweight block of somekind. This is bad news and rendering them may be a problem. You would need to get a local plasterer to come look at them and he will know what type they are and what remedial work may need done. I'd be thinking you'd at least need to rebuild the top section and then synthapruf (liquid dpm) the whole lot and then render it.

The top section would need to be regraded to a level surface ready for paving. That may mean breaking and digging out the concrete all over or just in places. Then lay flags on a solid bed of mortar.

Paving starts at around £50 a sq/m all in (as a rough guide)

The railings you need to price from a local metalwork guy as nearly all railing are bespoke made.

I would imagine if you were paying someone to do all of the above it might come somewhere towards £2000-£2800? Excluding railings.

Very rough guesstimate, condition of steps in particular may be an issue if they are just built on fill rubbish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back