Advice needed - cash on house project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So wondering if anyone can help ?!

I have employed a tradesman who ive used for the last 5 years to project manage my house renovation, am having it plastered, decorated, new kitchen and a wall down between kitchen and dining room. I live in a large 3 bed detached house.

The guy ive employed to project manage it by trade is a bathroom and kitchen fitter. He has emp a builder for the wall for one days work which incs installing an rsj, plasterer and decorator and he will do rest of work himself. He works alone normally.

He didnt ask for a deposit upfront as we know him etc yet has asked for cash upfront to pay the builder his days work this week and to give the plasterer and decorator a bit of cash to start the job. It came to light a couple of days ago that we need an urgent rewire of our whole house ( we know electrics were bad anyway ) our man said his brother is an electrician and can have a look - he came up and then quoted £3600 for full rewire inc certificates and can start job monday so as not to hold up anything. Our backs are against the wall so to speak so we had no choice. Anyway we gave our project manager £5k cash as an upfront payment literally a few hours before we knew price if rewire. Total job price is 19.5k. After we agreed to full rewire we were askwd for another £1500 to give to electrician ( project managers brother ) we said what for and then said no so project manager didnt argue but was clearly put out. Bearing in mind we will be paying for rewire in full at end of coming week and he has had 5k but nothing more than a grand to pay out for at most for builder skip etc are we being unreasonable ? I feel like he is trying to take the mickey out of us ? Cab anybody else let me know their thoughts plse ? We have given him a good few referrals of work which he has earnt from so feel disappointed tbh. His work is excellent but seems to want us to produce large sums of cash on clicked fingers ?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. When you say it came to light you needed an urgent rewire, what happened?

I think it's more usual to pay for jobs when they're done, or maybe make a part payment half way through?

you may feel your backs against the wall but it's not, you have the money so you call the shots and decided what gets done by whom, if at all.

you can get a different electrician to do the rewire if you feel his terms are too demanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back