ADVICE Needed!!Fix new ceiling on top of an existing ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly let me start by saying that I am not an expert in DIY though I know enough to get by. I am looking to fix a false ceiling to an existing concrete ceiling in order to hide the current artex ceiling.

I have looked at the various ways in which I can do this; I have decided just to fix 2x4 to the existing ceiling and then attach plasterboard to the 2x4.

With the above information, I was looking for some advice. How would I attach the 2x4 to the existing ceiling? Would I just need to drill holes in the ceiling, then insert wall plugs then screw the 2x4 into the wall plugs?

I hope someone could help with some advice. Thank you in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Nicholas,, you would be better asking advice from a joiner on this. There will be a "huge" amount of weight hanging overhead with the timber and plasterboard combined, and i think it would take far more than rawlplugs and screws to fix the 4x2's to the concrete ceiling. You could save yourself a lot of work etc by simply having the artex bonded and skimmed over,,, just my thoughts on it, anyone else?. ;)

Ok I think I will do your idea, quicker and cheaper and like you say, stops the hassle. would either know roughly how much it would cost for 2 ceilings

Living Room Ceiling - 17.4 Square Meter
Hallway Ceiling - 8.08
I would need labour and materials

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Getting 2 or 3 quotes locally is always the best idea Nicholas. Make sure the quote includes all materials too, which shouldn't be that much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back