advice needed-house viewing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to look at a house the other day but it needs to be updated alot.the house has a good square footage internally and is in a good area.my main concern is ten 60' leylandii trees about 15' from the property :eek: obviously i can't go see the neighbour and say i will pay to have them removed so i am a bit wary of putting in an offer.would it be up to the present owner to make enquires if she wants to sell the property :?:
as i will like to turf the garden and have some flower beds put in it would not be worth it with those roots sucking all the water up from the soil.
also would i be able to put a 6' fence round the rest of the house for privacy as it has 5 neighbouring houses.
have put in an offer at 15000
lower than the asking price subject to survey and the trees to be removed.
any ideas would be helpful as i have to be out of my house by mid january.

Sponsored Links
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
obviously i can't go see the neighbour and say i will pay to have them removed so i am a bit wary of putting in an offer.would it be up to the present owner to make enquires if she wants to sell the property :?:

Do you know for certain who owns the trees? If it is the prospective neighbours, I would go and speak to them. I moved in to my present house three years ago, one side of the garden was bordered by these leylandii trees and were about 25 feet tall. I spoke to the neighbours, they were fed up with the trees but couldn't afford to do anything about it (they are pensioners) - problem solved. Myself and one of my brothers lopped some and removed others.

You should be able to erect a 6' fence as long as there is nothing attached to the deeds preventing this.

dg123 said:
obviously i can't go see the neighbour and say i will pay to have them removed so i am a bit wary of putting in an offer.would it be up to the present owner to make enquires if she wants to sell the property :?:

Do you know for certain who owns the trees? If it is the prospective neighbours, I would go and speak to them. I moved in to my present house three years ago, one side of the garden was bordered by these leylandii trees and were about 25 feet tall. I spoke to the neighbours, they were fed up with the trees but couldn't afford to do anything about it (they are pensioners) - problem solved. Myself and one of my brothers lopped some and removed others.

You should be able to erect a 6' fence as long as there is nothing attached to the deeds preventing this.
what would the seller think if i went behind their backs and contacted the neighbour who have the trees on their land. :?:

dg123 said:

what would the seller think if i went behind their backs and contacted the neighbour who have the trees on their land. :?:

Probably not that bothered as long as they get their cash, but why do you need to go behind their back ? Get everyone in on working on the issue and it'll solve itself much more quickly....

Sponsored Links
dg123 said:

Tell the sellers what you are going to do if you feel bad about it but remember it is you who is going to live there - if you are unhappy about something it is better to resolve it before having to live with it.

If it's any help, our new neighbours (both sides) are relieved that the previous occupants of our house have gone. They were totally inconsiderate and always causing problems - I think our new neighbours would have sacrificed the trees (even if they wanted them) just to have better neighbours.

i'm not really bothered about the seller as she has only spoken to the neighbours once in 20yrs :eek: but i don't want to start of on the wrong foot with the prospective new neighbours. :rolleyes:

i'm not really bothered about the seller as she has only spoken to the neighbours once in 20yrs :eek: but i don't want to start of on the wrong foot with the prospective new neighbours. :rolleyes:

If you explain your concerns to the prospective neighbours politely they should respond likewise. If they do not do you want them as neighbours?

wait till your new neighbours are out ( do you homework) and send some tree fellers in paid up front anonymously

tees gone no one know how why or who did it

or hire a good chain saw and a mask muhahahaha

Slogger said:
wait till your new neighbours are out ( do you homework) and send some tree fellers in paid up front anonymously

tees gone no one know how why or who did it

or hire a good chain saw and a mask muhahahaha
I`ve got a few masks I made myself, and Lampshades.I`m working on a body suit

Do you really want to live next to awkward neighbours? The fact that the trees are there and they haven't spoken in 20 years tells me plenty.

There is a well known web site for garden issues.

Try this http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Back