Bodged house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like the moderators to approve this post and the URL *********** ****NOPE**** mainly because the topic of DIY disasters is too great to repeat for every story. Three months ago we moved into an Edwardian house, and every since then I have been having to take apart virtually everything. We did have the house surveyed beforehand, there was report of bridging causing rising damp, the damage could have become structural during the next 12 months. Water was standing on a concrete path along side of the the house, turns out that all the path needed was sweeping and that a 2 inch gulley had already been put in the path in the 1970's and the two previous owners had let it fill up with mud, rubble and earth.

There's pictures that show that the debris build up was so great that it even covered air bricks in the wall. Other bodged jobs include a plum tree that was badly pruned so that a pool of water rotted the heart and a bough fell 9 feet a few days ago missing my 7 year old son that had been standing there a few minutes before, the next day another third of the tree came down in the wind. Tomorrow I hope to finish the documentation of the "18 hour toilet", where a faulty inlet valve required breaking the toilet out of a wooden cabinet, only to find that it had been superglued and sealed into place and required hacksawing and drilling to fit the new valve. Holding the new and old valves side by side, I discovered the old one didn't have a single washer on it.

A typical example of the incompetence of the former owners, is that a loft extension blind was in one room in January when we viewed the house, I have a photograph of it. When we moved in, in March, the blind had been moved 14 feet to the room next door (there's a bit more to that story). During this massive journey, 4 out of the 6 screws that hold the blind in place had gone missing.

There's too much to list, the survey was actually very precise and accurate, it just didn't take into account things like 2 out of 3 toilets not working when the former owner was a newly qualified plumber.

Sponsored Links
Yes I did, and had a full survey down too, which states "this is a beautiful house, but...." and in two years time when every job has been unbodged I will be proud to say i did that

I also think it's a good series of lessons as to how a lack of basic common sense like "sweep a gulley out" every six months, or not thinking "hmm that drain is overflowing, I'd better check that" can lead to structural building failure.

Sponsored Links
Everything that has been affixed in my house was done using 1 slotted screw and one pozi screw (stripped head).

Every DIY job that ws done was done badly and has consequences that I'd better not go into.
It is taking me years to put it all right.

So your not on your own.........

EDIT: I have just looked at your site, although finding something to blog about can be quite hard I really dont think you have bought a badly bodged house there, more like one that has had poor maintenance.

It looks like a nice house - I'm sure both me & the wife would love it ourselves even with the need to do a little diy.

Unfortunately, some people (by choice, lack of skill or lack of money) just take shortcuts.

I've moved into a 25 year old house and have unearthed some lovely surprises, including DIY electrics which horrified my electrician. There were sockets, lights and switches all going into the same box and wires trailing across floors.

I've uncovered some fabulous holes too, which had things strategically placed over them when I viewed. Things were 'placed' together and I almost had a glass shower door fall on my head when it broke off the wall (have you ever felt the weight of one of those?!).

I'm slightly OCD about doing things right and everything will be primed, undercoated and done properly. If I can't do it, I won't attempt it and will pay someone who has the skill to do the job. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like this.

None of my problems have so far been life threatening and I'm tackling them one by one. I know that at the end of this I'll have a house that I can be proud of and can say "I did that" rather than just placing a plant in front of something I've bodged...

Good luck with your property.

Well promoting your website which you are gaining revenue from advertising on here is a bad thing to do your website is unfortunatly so boring it is unreal. I am suprised you havent dedicated a chapter or two complaining that the previous occupier has never cut the grass to the exacting 1" that you would have done.

You have suffered and wasted countless days on jobs that a handyman or even a plumber could have done in a few hours, it may also be considered by some that simply putting some old worktop out of a skip under a toilet so it will be higher than the soil pipe is a complete and utter bodge. Good luck with your house, but why not do yourself a favour and get someone in to sort these trivial jobs in a fraction of the time. Sink wastes block up, thats what they do, perhaps you should pop back to your previous residence and clean your old one out too!

You have suffered and wasted countless days on jobs that a handyman or even a plumber could have done in a few hours

However - this is what DIY is all about, taking your time to do things because your not paid for it.

It takes me weeks to decorate a room.

Cant be doing with people whineing about culteral differences when moveing to another country, if your not happy you know the answer to the problem.

Wow, a badly pruned tree, a dirty gulley and on top of all that a badly boxed in cistern; it's an outrage.
How do you manage to live with such a disaster? Would you like the number of a good therapist to help you cope?
You should send the vendor a letter and tell them how upset you are. Are they foreigners? They are letting them in by the thousand you know.

4 out of the 6 screws that hold the blind in place had gone missing.

Dont worry have pleanty of screws in my van, let me know what size you want and I will send them your way.

ps p&p £100.00

pmsl.

Should have had the place Feng Shued first. I find this absolutely essential when buying a house :LOL:

Alfredo

Just been reading this post and it reminds me of the worry (justified) each time someone declares " i'm a builder by trade and done all the alterations myself".

Sponsored Links
Back