advice needed - insulating a tiled, concrete-floor workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, my business has just moved into an old butchers shop and this is now our workshop. Trouble is that it was a lumber room for 15 years and needs work. A past leak in the roof meant that the internal ceiling had been removed, so it's open to the corrugated roof (there are timbers there to attach a false ceiling to), the walls are tiled throughout and the floor is concrete.

Now, the leak has been fixed so it's waterproof, but it's cold impossible to heat and water condenses on the tiles as soon as you start to breathe.

So, what would be the cheapest, efficient way of making this workspace more habitable. I'm especially in need of reducing the condensation as the damp is causing problems with my stock and any paper left over there goes floppy almost overnight.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
An insulated ceiling will prevent condensation from the roof sheets.

Fit some insulated plasterboard to the walls, or dry-line and insulate to the walls.

For the floor the only practical way to insulate would be to raise it slightly with new timber joists, battens, insulate between them and fix timber or chipboard flooring

Make sure there is some ventilation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back