Advice needed - Neighbours want to join new extension onto my existing extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Advice needed please!

I currently live in a link semi detached property (attached to neighbours our garages). My property was extended above my garage roughly in the 1980s and has a flat roof with guttering at the side, which hangs over my neighbours garage.

My neighbour has recently informed me that they would like do do the same but also with a hip to gable loft conversion too.

I am very concerned about the work required regarding digging new foundations right next to mine but mostly concerned about the fact that they say the want to join their proposed new side extension onto my existing extension and have asked me to remove my guttering in order for them to do that.

They haven't applied for planning permission yet and have just mentioned it in passing with a view to us having a further discussion.

I do not object to them extending their property but I do not want their extension joining onto mine as it basically turns both properties into terraced/town houses.

I will object to this obviously on these grounds but I wanted some advice how successful my objection would be?

My initial thoughts would be that due to the age of my existing extension and if I object to them joining their extension being joint onto it, then they could not do it and have to submit plans building away from my property, leaving a reasonable gap for maintenance etc. Also regarding the guttering - as it's been in place for 30+ years I'm hoping there's nothing can be done with it and will just have to be left as is

I know a little bit about the party wall act but I'm hoping that wouldn't come into play.

I get on well with my neighbours and don't want to fall out!

Any advice is welcome please! Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Linking semis like that, or even if the neighbour wanted to infill that space without linking would create a 'terracing effect', and this would be resisted by most planning depts - they would normally have planning policies actually preventing it. Check that out.

Otherwise, if any extension conforms to the council's planning policies then it will be approved, and people have little say with objections unless it impacts their use of the property drastically.

The Party Wall Act would seem to apply. Again, this would not prevent the neighbour doing this work, but the Act will give you control on how the thing is built and specified. If it does apply, make sure the neighbour follows it and notifies you, you then dispute the notice and a surveyor is appointed to oversee the relevent works.

Lofts can create a lot of noise from their use, and this travels down and across buildings easily.

Thanks Woody

So you think there's a good chance they won't be able to link directly onto my extension, but would have to build say 1m from it?

That would be my opinion, especially as my existing extension was built years ago. Seems to me the previous owner of my property just 'got in there first'

Agreed about the noise from the loft, that is a good point.

It can be more than 1m, as it depends on the situation. Have a look at your council's planning policies, sometimes called "supplementary home extension guidelines" or suchlike.

Around me, one council will allow one neighbour to build to the boundary but then the other has to keep at least 2m back at first floor level, another council will only allow each neighbour to build to 1m to the boundary - which maintains a 2m gap between extentions.

Sponsored Links
It is a very common thing with planning depts. Does Sheffield already have lots of terraced streets so it does not matter? :cautious:

You could give them a call or email and ask what their policy is on extending to the boundary at first floor level and the terracing effect.

Already tried to call but they charge now just to ask them a question!

There are lots of terraced houses in Sheffield but I don't want one :(. Not that there's anything wrong with terraced I just don't want mine to become one!

I will try again to find out from the council again though.

Thanks a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back