Advice needed on adding an alarm system to new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Ive got a new build, im wanting to have an alarm but not sure whether to get one fitted and all wired to the mains or look at self fit one or even if wireless ones are any good

Do these wireless ones work if your power goes off? whilst the house is ready to have the main wiring added it will be easy wnogh to add a wired alarm but i dont know what to go for

thanks

Sponsored Links
hard wired always should be first option.

either will work if power cut, as they will have a back up battery.

given these questions I would suggest fitted, but get some quotes in and then have another think?

yes thats the old dilemma, ive seen some reputable companies and from memeory its around £1300 but im fairly handy DIY wise nd always like to save money so wouldnt mind doing it myself BUT then again time comes into it.

What are decent brands to self install?

Sponsored Links
I get about saving money, but you can waste money by not getting it right first time.

I suggest you think about what you want now and may want in the future and ask questions on here, as that just costs time.

wrt to state of the build, is it wired/plastered/decorated./ carpets flooring etc.

Roof almost on suggests its a shell internally right now with joists and stairs on show and possibly wiring and plumbing possibly in place, no plastering.

In that state, deciding where you want the panel and where you are to run cables from and to can be considered and run in easily.

Always use good quality 8 core alarm cable.
You may want to consider an ethernet connection near your alarm panel if you want it to use an app at a later point.

I get about saving money, but you can waste money by not getting it right first time.

I suggest you think about what you want now and may want in the future and ask questions on here, as that just costs time.

wrt to state of the build, is it wired/plastered/decorated./ carpets flooring etc.

Roof almost on suggests its a shell internally right now with joists and stairs on show and possibly wiring and plumbing possibly in place, no plastering.

In that state, deciding where you want the panel and where you are to run cables from and to can be considered and run in easily.

Always use good quality 8 core alarm cable.
You may want to consider an ethernet connection near your alarm panel if you want it to use an app at a later point.

you only generally do the wiring, plumbing etc after the house is at least secure/watertight so currently im free to place an alarm box wherever is best for me which will be in a cupboard near the bathroom upstairs

exactly, so wasn't sure if had been started as roof nearly completely tiled.

Hard wired definitely the way to go, no batteries to change, no signal issues to worry about and the hard wired kit is a fraction of the price for like for like functionality.

if your future is to add outbuildings you might want to consider how they are connected hard wired or wirelessly to the alarm system, amd look at the options of adding say wireless at a future date possibly.

exactly, so wasn't sure if had been started as roof nearly completely tiled.

Hard wired definitely the way to go, no batteries to change, no signal issues to worry about and the hard wired kit is a fraction of the price for like for like functionality.

if your future is to add outbuildings you might want to consider how they are connected hard wired or wirelessly to the alarm system, amd look at the options of adding say wireless at a future date possibly.

any recommended brands to look for ?

Depends on what you want from the system I guess.

I would say all manufacturers currently in the market place have serious issues to address, if you believe all the engineers that are having a whinge at the minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back