Wireless PIR's on a wired system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Is it possible to retro-fit a wireless PIR to a pre-existing wired alarm? Currently have a Texecom Veritas R8 alarm system and wanting to add protection to my detached garage (about 10 metres from the house). I was going to install a separate wireless alarm with one PIR, but then got thinking is it possible to have a hybrid wireless / wired system?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can but you will need a compatible standalone receiver

a Scantronic 762 is a standalone receiver that will accept scantronic wireless sensors, you can then wire the receiver into a spare zone on the R8. Alternatively there is the risco nova 4 that is a stand alone receiver for risco peripherals.

But your room may not be suitable for a pir and currently there are only wireless pirs available not dualtecs etc.
If you need a dualtec then you will need a local psu and a universal transmitter.

a Scantronic 762 is a standalone receiver that will accept scantronic wireless sensors, you can then wire the receiver into a spare zone on the R8. Alternatively there is the risco nova 4 that is a stand alone receiver for risco peripherals.

But your room may not be suitable for a pir and currently there are only wireless pirs available not dualtecs etc.
If you need a dualtec then you will need a local psu and a universal transmitter.

Thanks. It's for a garage about 10m away from the house. Would it be best installing a separate alarm just for the garage?

Thanks. It's for a garage about 10m away from the house. Would it be best installing a separate alarm just for the garage?

Not really.
it depends on your current alarm system and how clever it is but depending on routing to the garage (eg/ soil/concrete etc) you could always fit a cabled PIR or 2 from the main unit and program it/them as a seperate zone that is armed even when the house is not (eg at night)..

Does the garage have mains etc? If so it might be easier to fit a seperate system but to enable control from the house you will still need to wire to the garage.

In my experience cheap wireless alarms are not worth touching. The only ones I use are Eurotec CPX systems and they are exteremly good and no false alarms from passing police cars and whatnot.

But if it were me I would want it extended on to the current system..because wireless reliabilty in the house is a different ballgame to a wireless link through double skinned brick wall and then through the big wide world and into another brick building!

Sponsored Links
The bigger texecoms ie the premier will accept a wireless expander, but the veritas will not. The only way is to use a standalone reciever. If you use the risco reciever its the same rf gear as the Eurosec CPX.

Personally id plumb for the scantronic rf. But thats just my own personal view, risco is great when using their panels, ie 490x cpx 595 etc, domonial rf gear is probably the best IMO on a honeywell galaxy, but if you want to interface with what you have you will need a standalone reciever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back