advice needed on conservatory without planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We bought our house in 2009, it had a conservatory already built in 2001 without planning permission.

The seller's took out an indemnity insurance policy which covered us against any enforcement action.

We are now looking to sell the house.

One buyer for our house made an offer but then removed her offer for our house after talking to their solicitor about the conservatory and was advised against buying...

I read something about if a building has been built without planning permission but has been erect for 5 or more years without any complaints then it's fine and no permission is needed.

Is this right?
What should I do??
I've read threads online and tried asking my council but I'm so confused about it all.

Any advise please

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
One buyer for our house made an offer but then removed her offer for our house after talking to their solicitor about the conservatory and was advised against buying...

So in effect, her solicitor has charged her for advising against buying your house, loosing her a potential new home, and you a sale,
all through ignorance of the rules. Probably law is the one profession where practitioners get paid handsomely for getting things wrong and their clients don't even know about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back