advice needed on cutting simple hole for window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im planning on cutting a hole in a concrete block wall and have a few questions if anyone is able to give me a bit of advice that would be brill,

we have a simple office inside our industrial unit thats about 2.4m high, and we would like to put a window in one of the walls, the office has a flat roof which is boarded and can be walked on top off but there is nothing on top at the moment,

the wall is :
made of standard concrete blocks
internal (in our factory unit)
single skin 100mm
only rendered on one side

my question is, once i have taken the row of blocks out to put the lintel in do i just use 2 courses of bricks above the lintel (see red area in attached pic) or can i just use my grinder to cut down some concrete blocks? third option can i use thermalite blocks instead?

the main reason im asking is because after i'm finished i will need to render the are of wall on one side where the new lintel and bricks are to and i dont think the render will stick to hard engineering bricks

I have acros and strong boys and the wall is not supporting anything

cheers
jon

Attachments

• brewery brick wall for window copy copy.jpg
    brewery brick wall for window copy copy.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
Hi john do you already have the window ? If not get one made so it fits with out cuts

with cuts personaly id just use the blocks from the hole u created

another question
can I just cut the space for the lintel to go in and not cut out the full block as ive got a petrol cutter

Yes you can do that if you wish ive done it before just becareful not to disurb things if it was me id screw a length of wood to it to give u a edge to cut down il asume ur useing a precast lintel if so leave a decent gap to bed the top of the lintel

Sponsored Links
If you buy a "L" shaped steel lintel, you can just cut out a bed joint and slide the lintel in without disturbing the blocks above.

Otherwise, you can do either of what you mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back