Advice needed on how to complete Under floor heating install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wet system installed between our suspended wooden beames. The installers placed reflective insulation and the plastic pipes over the insulation and boarded everything back with the old boards. Due to the state of the boards, i want to replace them with 18mm plywood and tile. I would say there is around 15mm of space between the piped and where the plywood will be. Should i fill that with dry mix of 8:1 sand cement? Are there any other products that will fill the void and preform better and maybe be more lightweight? Any advice will be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why you have old boards on top of the reflective insulation, and then when you remove them, there is suddenly a 15mm gap.

Is there any reason why you cannot ply directly on top of the UFH? This would be best, introducing an air gap or a loose fill will not help heat transference.

Sponsored Links
Hi, even if the pipe was right up to the plywood, it would still only be touching it with a tiny section of the cicular pipe. Most installs i have seen have a gap between the pipes and the boards but they are normally filled. I just want to know if its worth filling the gap with sand and cement? I like the idea of the aluminium plates but i wont have the time to get it done properly now as it would mean repositioning the already laid down pipes. I need a quick option to fill the gap with. Can anyone recommend or comment on the dry sand cement mix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back