1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Under Floor Heating Design, UFH - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by John b 2008, 16 Jun 2016.

1. John b 2008

John b 2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone that can provide advice on my UFH design (attached). Each Run is circa 75m, I have gone for 150mm spacing at the front as there are large bi-fold doors. The top section has sufficient room height to install roughly 75mm insulation then 15mm pipes and a screed layer. the back of the area (below the green dotted line) has a step up therefore a lower room height therefore I was looking at installing overfit boards on top of a thin layer of insulation, then dry float boards to tile on top of. NOTE - I have not shown pipe under the kitchen cabinets (cabinets shown as maroon dotted lines)

I am thinking of john Guest (JG) components and laying ALL in 15mm pipe.

ANY advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How much headroom have you got? Do you have space to build up the lower area more, so that the upper area can be done with a screed finish? Alternatively, if you're pushed for height, look at NuHeat's LoPro Max system, which doesn't need to have any insulation under it and has a 22mm height build.

It's hard to give sensible advice without knowing floor levels and ceiling heights.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John b 2008

John b 2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi thanks. The lower part I.e. By the bifolds has a height of 2730mm and the high part (where the kitchen is) has 2302mm. Both currently concrete floors. I was looking at 75mm insulation then pumped screed on the 2730mm area then maybe the overfit boards on the higher section (2302mm). ???

4. John b 2008

John b 2008

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    P.s. Does the design look ok??

5. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK, in that case you'd probably struggle to fit a traditional pipe-in-screed system, so a retrofit is going to be the best option in the area with less headroom. Overlay boards don't generally have a very high heat output so unless your house is insulated to reasonably modern standards you'll probably find that it's not warm enough. LoPro Max will give you a much greater heat output.

Your design is very pretty. If it was me, I'd have gone for as many straight runs and as few bends as possible - your design has created a lot of extra work for yourself