Advice Needed On Roller Garage Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been considering replacing my old (28 years) electric up and over door with an electric roller door. I think it is something I should be able to do myself however looking at the installation videos online they all show a much simpler opening than mine.

I've attached photos but all the videos I've watched have a nice flat wall to attach the frames and roller to whereas the lintel is stepped back 70mm (2.75") from the internal brick work (hope that makes sense... see pics). So would end up with a gap at the top... is that an issue, should I block it in?

Also by fitting a roller door it appears I'' probably lose around 250mm (10") of usable garage space, can this be avoided?

Thanks in anticipation: )

q1s.jpg

q3s.jpg

q4s.jpg

q5s.jpg

q10s.jpg

q11s.jpg

Sponsored Links
Several options there. I am assuming the steel lintel is also carrying the outer leaf of brickwork.
Come right in behind the brick pillars for a full width and height behind fix. Completely do away with the timber frame for max opening size but sacrifice a little depth (thickness of the pillars)
Come just behind the lintel for full height in-between fix. Gain a bit of width but lose a bit of height (assuming brick to brick is over 3m wide so compact door is not an option). Would be a pain fixing directly to the lintel.

Use a max width compact door (around 3m depending on make) and build in the sides a bit with brick or stud walls.

Fitting the doors is easy as pie. Measuring and knowing all the makes and options is where calling in an expert can pay for itself.
Try getting some quotes. You may pick up some ideas or find with their supplier discounts prices arnt far off what you would pay anyway

Several options there. I am assuming the steel lintel is also carrying the outer leaf of brickwork.
Come right in behind the brick pillars for a full width and height behind fix. Completely do away with the timber frame for max opening size but sacrifice a little depth (thickness of the pillars)
Come just behind the lintel for full height in-between fix. Gain a bit of width but lose a bit of height (assuming brick to brick is over 3m wide so compact door is not an option). Would be a pain fixing directly to the lintel.

Use a max width compact door (around 3m depending on make) and build in the sides a bit with brick or stud walls.

Fitting the doors is easy as pie. Measuring and knowing all the makes and options is where calling in an expert can pay for itself.
Try getting some quotes. You may pick up some ideas or find with their supplier discounts prices arnt far off what you would pay anyway

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the lintel carries the outer leaf of brickwork.

The more I look at what is available the more confused I get and I'm beginning to think you are right when you say calling in an expert can pay for itself: )

I had a quick look around our estate and several traditional up & over doors have been replaced with roller and sectional types, I may go and see if I can have a look at a couple before committing myself either way.

Ideally I would like to keep as much length to the garage as possible, I'm guessing width would stay the same as it has been (unless I go for the full width) and that has been OK so far. I'm slightly concerned about losing height, how much would you think I could stand to lose?

Thanks again for your advice.

I have a roller shutter on my workshop, approx 8ft, and it’s contained in a box on the outside of the workshop. Manual lift though, not even chain or electric so maybe not possible with electric?

Sponsored Links
Good point, Externally mounted is an option too but does look a bit ugly.
Whats your width. My supplier goes upto 3m wide for a compact door with a 205mm box. Above that size goes upto the 300mm box

8ft (if my quick google is correct) is well under 3m so you can use a compact door with a 205mm box.
If you measure down from your lintel to the underside of the open door I'm betting thats more than 205mm so you would gain headroom and could even fit it a little further out to gain depth.
Guide rails would be around 60mm so you should gain width too with the timber frame gone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back