Advice needed on several DIY tasks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers,

I moved into my first house about a year and a half ago and am finally getting around to trying to fix things up and redecorate. I have a list of things which I've identified that need doing. If anyone could help me with any of the following questions I would be grateful.

Firstly cracks in walls, some of which seem to have appeared over the course of the last year, and others which presumably were there for a while.

Can I just fill these with polyfilla? Are they anything to be concerned about. For context the house is 150 years old terrace and the plaster seems to be newish in some places and probably old in others.

> 0975 and 76 are the same crack on a wall

> 928 is a crack across the back of the staircase seen in 1016 (hairline - looks worse in the picture)

> 1011 / 0997 / 0996 - some other random cracks

_________

Secondly, plug sockets. Most in the house are perfectly normal, but some as can be seen in the pictures are no longer attached to the wall. The screws are missing and there doesnt seem to be plaster to screw them into. Does anyone know what to do about these. Should I just pay an electrician to sort them out?
________

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Little cracks are generally nothing to get worried about. In general digging them out a bit, cleaning the dust/loose stuff out, polyfiller, sand then paint.

The sockets seem not to have backboxes, in particular 1002. For those you would want to remove the socket from the wall, cut out a suitable sized hole for the back box (probably just a case of squaring the hole up) fixing the back box into the hole and filling the gap around the edge with polyfiller again. There's a lot more detail in the process of course but it's pretty easy.

It looks like someone slapped a load of paint over everything to sell the house. Sloppy paintwork and not bothering to do the sockets etc. Not the end of the world but it'll take a bit of time to get a nice finish, and a lot of sand paper.

Hi IT Minion,

Thanks for advice, I don't think the previous owners really knew what they were doing unfortunately. I'll have a look at instructions for fitting backboxes.

Sponsored Links
Did you have a survey done when you bought the house?

I've just had a look back at it now. The sockets were not mentioned. It says the cracks are likely comsetic and can be filled in when redecorating. (however some of these cracks were not there when the survey was done)

Last edited:
This bunch of doom and gloom merchants will have you out of your house in no time. These are nothing to worry about. How anybody can tell from those photos that the paint job is crap is beyond me but even so just a bit of work and elbow grease IF it is that bad. The cracks are nothing to worry about especially if you are going to repaint. The sockets are an easy job but it could be dangerous (240 volts) if you do not know what you are doing.

Hi Pete thanks for the reassurance. This was what we could afford anyway, so were stuck with it for a few more years, might aswell try to fix up what I can.

Cracks are minor an cosmetic, loose sockets and switchplates much more of a concern. I'd get those checked and replaced soonest.

Cracks are minor an cosmetic, loose sockets and switchplates much more of a concern. I'd get those checked and replaced soonest.
I'm not disagreeing, definitely not on the sockets being more important than the cracks, but what in particular should the sockets be checked for?

I'm not disagreeing, definitely not on the sockets being more important than the cracks, but what in particular should the sockets be checked for?

Hard to say, but they're loose and are potentially exposing live parts, a clear and immediate danger.

Thanks guys, they've been like that for over a year so its time to get them sorted. The worst one is just for an aerial cable so presumably thats not high voltage

Thanks guys, they've been like that for over a year so its time to get them sorted. The worst one is just for an aerial cable so presumably thats not high voltage
No voltage on aerial sockets , if you don’t want to dig out to fit a back box you can fit a surface box easily .
Might help the novice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back