1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracks found in internal walls

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Robstockio78, 2 Nov 2014.

1. Robstockio78

Robstockio78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have recently started to redecorate, I have been in my house for 3 years.
    As I have pulled the wallpaper off near my staircase I have found a large crack running down the wall. I have also checked with my next door neighbour and she has a crack in her first floor bedroom wall, I have then peeled the paper back on mine and it's revealed another crack. She said the one in her bedroom has not got any bigger in the last three years,

The house is a mid terraced property around 150 years old. I have included a photo of the crack downstairs, could this be subsidence?

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Probably historic and nothing to worry about unless it shows recent signs of movement.?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Robstockio78

Robstockio78

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, just realised the picture is the wrong way, the crack goes vertical,
    It also runs into the upstairs bedroom. Its been wallpapered for the last three years and I've never noticed it before. Is it safe to replaster and monitor it?

5. jj4091

jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it has not split the old wall paper in 3 years then it probably hasn't moved any more & is, as foxhole says, historic. The only real way to tell would be to fit a glass tell tale across it & leave it undecorated for 6 months but I would not have thought that necessary, it is quite common in old terrace houses. Personally I would fill it & redecorate.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links