Advice needed on T R V valves

• Thread starter David Chambers
  • Start date
D

David Chambers

I have had a new combi boiler fitted the installer also fitted all 8 radiators with T R V valves he also left me a mobile Myson time clock and Thermostat all built into one unit . I can't understand where I can use the built in stat as it would not work in any room because of the T R V valves but he says it will work. I understand stood that a room stat could not be used in a room where a T R V valve was fitted on a radiator so some advice need please as I can't the point of these units at all.

Sponsored Links
You can put the display in any room you want, but the room you put it in you will have to make sure that the trvs in that room are set to max. Otherwise if you set your thermostat to 20c and your trvs are on low, the thermostat will be calling for heat from the boiler until that room reaches temp, which could be a very long time or not at all if the rads are not putting out enough heat. You have the most efficient set up, trvs and room thermostat. Without the thermostat the boiler will never turn off on its own, trvs can not talk to the boiler to say the house if warm enough thus wasting heat, gas and electricity.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand where I can use the built in stat as it would not work in any room because of the T R V valves.
You are absolutely right. There should not be a TRV fitted to the radiator in the room where the room thermostat is located. If there were, the TRV could turn off the radiator before the room thermostat's temperature was reached meaning the room thermostat will never operate.

Turning up the TRV to maximum, is a 'get around' but not what I would expect to see from a properly designed system. Sounds like a bit of a lazy cop out to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back