Advice needed please - Bathroom ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some clever and knowledgeable members on the forum, so I am hoping for advice/ help with the following please:

Our bathroom is internal, so has no window. We have a ceiling fan which is located above the bath taps. We run a shower hose from these taps.

A few days ago the fan shorted out. The reason for this failure was that there's a hose which slots onto the fan in the loft space. However, instead of having some sort of facility to take moisture away, the moisture has collected in the hose, evaporated and dripped down into the fan - hence the fan going kaput.

We need to fit a new fan. This fan replaced the original one which had a timer. There's a yellow, blue and red wire with the red wire being taped up out of use. There's no fused spur. Between the main bathroom pull switch there is another pull switch that allows you to switch the fan on and off.

I have been looking at this fan http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-ax...fan-ip44/14750 but it mentions a 3amp fused spur. There's no fused spur in or outside the bathroom. I'm hoping that using this 12v fan (transformer will sit in the loft space) will be better than the last one and that I can allow the bathroom steam to be expelled into the loft space - not use the hose.

I have also looked at this http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-in-line-white-20w-shower-fan-kit/15061#

I would appreciate any helpful comments please.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
You must not vent the shower fan into the loft. Your loft will become damp with the steam causing condensation, leading to mould, rot, and eventually possibly collapse of the roof timbers.

If you can't arrange the hose/duct to slope down all the way to outside then you need to arrange a condensation trap in the hose and run that to drain.

eg link

667cfd61a5490d7adceda962490e77c2.image.110x120.jpg

First off, you MUST NOT expel the steamy air into the loft space.
This moisture will sit on the roof timber, and they will rot and you roof will collapse./

You need to sort out the extract ducting and install a condensation trap (google it).

You don't need to use a 3amp spur. running it off the lighting circuit is fine.

I do not understand the wiring of the old fan. For a timer fan to work you need all three wires, red, blue and the red. What terminals are they connected to on the old fan?

EDIT: Damn you Owain. Me too slow…same story though.

Thanks for your replies.

The current fan did not have a timer. It just had 2 wires connected - a blue and a yellow. I take it the yellow is permanent live although I'd have thought it would have been the red?

So, pull switch in entrance of bathroom which controls light and other pull switch. Second pull switch activates fan. I think this was installed when the fan was replaced with it not having a timer on it.

The Manrose In-Line White 20w Shower Fan Kit looks like it would do the job of extracting and dispelling the steam: http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-i..._mmc=AffiliateWindow-_-DeepLink-_-Na-_-58258#

More info here: http://www.manrose.co.uk/specifications/showerinlinefanrange.pdf

I just need to be sure of the wiring.

Sponsored Links
The yellow is the switched live
The red is the permanent live
The blue is the neutral

For a non-timer fan you only need the switched live (when the light comes on) and the neutral.

The yellow is the switched live
The red is the permanent live
The blue is the neutral

For a non-timer fan you only need the switched live (when the light comes on) and the neutral.

Thank you. Surely the red should be in use and the red taped up!

I'm now off to screwfix to collect the manrose inline fan. :)

For a time fan you will need the RED also, and not taped up but connected in accordance with the instructions that will come with the fan.

Thank you

The grill for the ceiling is smaller than the original aperture, so I'll get some bonding / adhesive to stick it to the ceiling.

The terminals on the fan are so small!

Is nothing easy :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back