Advice needed please - repainting interior woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced all of my door locks and handles on some painted internal doors. I have needed to do some filling due to different sized locks and now need to repaint the doors, so the whole door looks good. I may go the whole hog and re-paint my woodwork upstairs.

The current paint is OB eggshell. It was painted a few years ago and has some chips due to having a young son, but otherwise looks nice.

I am tempted to use water based paint this time (can you get WB eggshell?) as I find it a lot easier to work with. However is it ok to paint water based on top of oil based? Also will it look as nice as it does currently, or should I re-do in oil based eggshell, as I do like the current look?

I am going to paint the doors initially, but expect that I will then want to paint the skirting boards in the landing, door frames, etc as it the door will look much brighter than the rest of the wood.

All advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can get WB eggshell.

As to using OB or WB read the recent thread by Joe 90 and make your own mind up.

Some of the better WB eggshells are paint & paper library, F&B and little green.

For best results its a good idea to wet abrade existing OB coating if your going to go WB its also not a bad idea to put a coat of something like coverstain or 123 (both by zinsser) to act as a bridging coat between the two products.

IMO oil based is a better finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back