Help! Painted water based over eggshell! What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just made a blunder - can anyone please help with advice?

My internal doors, frames and skirtings are all painted with an oil based eggshell paint. They'd taken a few knocks and scrapes so the other day I gave the damage a quick rub with sandpaper and then dabbed with oil based primer.

This morning I repainted two doors, frames and skirtings with what I THOUGHT was the eggshell paint, but I'd picked up the wrong can and have accidentally used a water based paint! Not emulsion but a water based topcoat.

I didn't realise till I came to wash out the brushes.

Is the paint going to chip off?

What can I do now to put this right? Does everything have to be sanded, or sugar-soaped? OR can I just paint over with the oil based eggshell?

Lady

Sponsored Links
Did you sand the whole door before applying the new paint?

I suppose the eggshell is not particularly shiny, so it may well be ok.

You should rub down the new paint lightly before applying the correct paint. This light rub down should give some indication if the paint is going to rub off.

No I didn't sand the doors or frames or skirtings.

OK I will give that a try, thanks.

Lady

Sponsored Links
I agree with the advice above. Preparation is the key, so go back and sand it all down really well before repainting.

It's not the fact you've put waterbased on top of oilbased which is going to destabilise the new paint (if it's any consolation my entire house is full of woodwork whcih was oil-painted in the past, then re-done more recently with waterbased, which I prefer indoors), and it has been absolutely fine. But it was prepared really thoroughly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back