Advice needed please

Sponsored Links
I think the salt glazed pipe is probably 150mm (6") there, next size up is 225mm (9"), highly unlikely thats been used at that point. Anyways, you wont get a small diameter inspection chamber for 150mm pipe so would need to dig back and put a bigger (750mm) diameter chamber in. Also, using all those fittings will take a fair bit of room, although doubtful you'll need the 225-150mm reducer.

Alternatively, if the new pan is to go behind the wall, come out horizontally and tee into stack. Maybe wise to fit a rodding point into the stack at same time.

thanks for the quick reply!

the grey pipe is 110mm and the ceramic pipe which is still half buried was crudely measured at 190-200mm (so I assumed it was 200mm). The new soil pipe comes from under the floorboards so has to connect to the drainage under the ground.

I was only going to put an inspection chamber when in my mind it would all be 110mm pipe here, only when I dug it up my mind was changed.

Do you have any other ideas I could use for connecting all these together?

Connection into the soil stack seems the best.
Doing something else seems a lot of work and hassle to achieve very little.

Sponsored Links
Its not what I often get involved with it but I thought that S.G. pipe was sized on the internal diameter of 4" and 6" ???

it's not in the room that this wall is for and I don't want it running through the middle of the room I might trip over it

Ultimately you are governed by whatever Building Control will permit, but I'll bet they'll want a chamber on the junction of the pipework. It'll be a 6" pipe, the salt glazed stuff has thick walls hence the external diameter.

I'd suggest you (carefully!) dig back until there is sufficient room to get a chamber in, may be able to get around matters by reducing the 6" to 4" immediately before fitting the chamber, then renew the bend etc, and run your new connection in 110mm plastic. Seems odd running 6" up so close before reducing to 4" but plans may have been changed at the time it was laid.

Sorry if i've caused any confusion over sizing Tony. The OP was reporting a measurement of approx 190-200mm outside diameter, hence my comment about the thick walls. Given an internal diameter of 150mm (6"), then allowing 20mm each side for the pipe wall, should correspond to the OP's measurements of 190-200mm O.D.

May not need too big a hole, if you can reduce from 6" salt glazed to 110mm plastic, (use a 'Flexseal' type connector), you should be able to get away with a 225mm dia chamber just outside the wall. Will need a rest bend at the bottom of the existing stack as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back