ADVICE NEEDED REGARDING SHED + MATERIALS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of getting a 12 x 8 ft wooden shed for my back garden.

I plan to place it in the far corner of my garden .Now in that corner there is a large mound of soil with stones in from a pond that was put in before i moved in.

I have moved some of the soil and spread it round near the edge of the fence but there is still quite a bit left.

What i was intending to do was to mark out my 12x8 area and dig some holes at the corners and fill with some gravel then lay blocks on the gravel at each corner plus additional blocks in between so it forms a kinda square if you follow me .

Then i was gonna use the rest of the soil that i need to get rid of and put this on top of the grass section inside the square base i have created (would save loads of time ,plus shed would not be resting on this area)

rake it level then put some weed fabric on top of the soil ,then use some gravel on top of the weed fabric.

I would then use some treated timber as skids across the blocks so the shed can go straight on .

How many skids would you use for this ?

which gravel is the cheapest but will do what i need for the blocks and top of the weed fabric ?

How many blocks would you use for the square ? and last but not least will this idea be ok ?

whats the best treated size skids to use

I thought that this would be easier and also get rid of the soil and stone left over from the pond and save me digging out a large area that would be hidden under the shed anyway. .

All help appreciated .

Sponsored Links
IMO, probably too many questions for a forum which aint gonna get a view of the site...

Probably better to get a mate, or a locally reccomended builder/gardener in for a quote and get most of your answers for free...

Then come back to the forum for clarification?!

some helpful info here for inspiration

http://www.fountaintimber.co.uk/adv...ldings-advice/constructing-a-base-for-a-shed/

for what it's worth I wouldn't put blocks on gravel: I'd be concerned about movement. as the link above suggests, I'd prepare a sub base (e.g. MOT Type 1, well rammed down) and then a sand/cement mix.

Thanks ..what if instead of putting blocks on gravel ,i dig some footings at each corner , say about 12inch down and fill with concrete using form work to get a level just above the ground and sit a pressure treated base on to the concrete ,so it is like sitting on piers .would this be a better option for less movement ?

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't have thought it would move, but i don't really know. to be honest I think you're making things more complicated than they need to be. also the various stages you are talking about will increase the effort involved and (if it was me) the likelihood it will go wrong.

personally I'd be looking getting the ground more or less level, then laying about 2 inches of sand and cement (10:1, mixed dry) and laying paving slabs on it. Then stick the shed on it. concrete would be another option. loads of advice on this kind of thing on pavingexpert.com. also this might help

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/article/build-a-shed-base

i can see that this wouldn't get rid of the soil and rubble you have, but i would look at some other way of getting rid of it rather than compromising this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back