Should i put weed fabric under decorative gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
ive had mixed answers on this subject.
should weed control fabric be used under decorative gravel of either pebels or plum slate? the thickness will be about 40-50mm.

most of the area will be a path around a lawn which wont get used much is mainly just for show. there will be some stepping stones installed right the way through the middle.

the gravel is going ontop of part soil, part hardcore and part gritt sand.

should fabric be used underneath or not?

thanks

Sponsored Links
IMHO - Yes

I had a similar setup with purple slate. Bunged it on thick over the base thinking I wouldn't need fabric.

Problem was weeds have a habit of being able to grow in the tightest of spaces and through tiny gaps in the slate covering. After a couple of months, little weeds started coming through.

Okay - they were small and easy to weed but who wants to be doing that every few weeks in the good weather?

Upshot was I took the slate up, laid weed fabric and then put the slate over the top. I was especially careful with the edges and the weeds don't get through now.

I would suggest putting it down and saving yourself a lot of future hassle.

IMHO yes, makes me laugh when I see love your garden, they spend something like 30k+ on someone's garden and put half an inch of chippings or gravel down to make it maintenance free. They don't tend to show you much when they go back a couple of months later and the weeds must have started.

If you use a hardcore sub base at least 50mm thick then personally i prefer not to use a membrane.

If its going direct on soil then definately do.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back