Advice needed urgently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello friends,
This is not exactly a DIY problem but I need your advice.
A tradesman did my bathroom.
He promised 2 weeks but took 2 months for taking tiles etc out and redid bathroom. Shower, bath sink and toilet, retile including under floor heating. He said he will not do any electrician work neither he has any friend electrician. He said he will leave out wire of underfloor heating etc (there was already one underfloor heating so easy for him.)

Now when my electrician connected underfloor heating is giving error message and I am trying to get it sorted with manufacturer they said it is issue with heating sensor.

Anyways my question is that if underfloor heating doesn't solved then I should deduct money as underfloor heating is very important for me as my house is cold and I have porcelain tiles which fell much cooler than my previous tile.

Do question is what would you do if heating doesn't work how much should be deducted?
I am withholding hours £1000 at the moment.

I don't want to keep somebody's money but I gave him a contract for bathroom and told him that it is his job to ensure everything is in order.

Any opinion both for and against welcome.
I am thinking of withhold £500 if problem doesn't resolve.

Keep in mind that my electrician did down lights exhaust fan etc. Before he started bathroom. When my bathroom Fitter took tiles off he said he had to put false ceiling on.
I asked him to make marking on so we know where to drill holes in new ceiling and because of his carelessness we lost markings and my electrician has to remeasure and do lights again and he charged me extra £200 I thought I was not planning to adjust this with bathroom Fitter but if I have no underfloor heating then what shall I do?
My advise appreciated.
I don't have any paperwork but loads of whatsapp messages.

Sponsored Links
If your bathroom installer doesn’t do any electrical work, he shouldn’t have laid the underfloor heating.

A professional electrician would have tested the underfloor heating system once installed before tiling was done - not switched on but tested for continuity and sensor.

What you should do is hold back enough money to allow for tiling of floor and underfloor heating to be reinstalled.

Then offer the bathroom fitter the opportunity to replace the sensor - he can do that by removing one or two tiles. Or get somebody else to do it.

once it’s been done pay whatever balance is due minus costs.

My concern would be the underfloor heating is a mat set in the adhesive layer which will get damaged when the tile is lifted to replace sensor.

Some people fit 2 sensors - one as a back up.

If it displays a fault, and I assume a fault code, what has caused the fault,or, what needs done to rectify it?

Sponsored Links
Some room stats allow you to ignore the the probe and only monitor the ambient temperature.

In some ways i don't blame you for witholding money from a shabby tradesman but make sure you have all correspondence printed out for the job to make a case should he countersue.
I recently had a complete bathroom renovation done in 10 working days - no underfloor heating, to be fair, but i daresay they could've done it within a fortnight. Two months is taking the proverbial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back