underfloor heating in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install underfloor heating in my bathroom, its onto wooden floorboards and planning tiles on top. After standing in the room with my dad (the expert) he took an intake of breath and said we'll never get to the pipes under the floor again...unless we go through the ceiling from underneath.

Should I go ahead with the underfloor heating? Is it really an issue to access the pipes?

Sponsored Links
I would like to install underfloor heating in my bathroom, its onto wooden floorboards and planning tiles on top. After standing in the room with my dad (the expert) he took an intake of breath and said we'll never get to the pipes under the floor again...unless we go through the ceiling from underneath.
He has a point, but then modern houses use 8x2 sheets of T&G chipboard, nailed down, and usually laid across joints BEFORE internal walls are built. Then the floor covering in the bathroom is glued down, etc, etc. Also, many properties (especially flats) have concrete floors and there's no access under floors or above ceilings anyway.

The trick is to make sure that a) the plumbing under the floor is all sorted first - and leak tested, and b) there is nothing under there that will need maintenance - eg make sure traps can be serviced from above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back