Advice needed- work to gable wall end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I am in the process of buying a house and we just discovered that there was some work done to outside wall and gable under NHBC. House is a town house in Mansfield just outside old quary and it‘s 11 years old.builded in 2003
in 2009 owner made a claim aboout outside wall flexing in the wind and that the ties are exposed, claim has been accepted and company called gelder Ltd has been picked to fix the issue.
They installed new ties (metal rods) every 1m on the outside wall and some of the wall was rebiulded what you can see on the picture(different colour of mortar...)
but then when was inspected by NHBC in 2011 they said tey are happy with the work but you can hear old ties grinding inside the wall in the gable area on the wind... so they got original builders to pull the old ties out of the wall...
My question is if the rod ties has been installed why the wall was still moving? I can‘t see any other reason for the old ties to rub inside the wall but wall was still moving under the wind. taking them out will not stop if from moving?
is there anything to worry about?
We has a home buy report done as they advised us that with a new house that is all you need but he didn‘t even mention that anything was done to the outside wall etc so we should seek structural engineer advice etc...
Any input welcome
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Entirely up to you what you do really. If it was my choice I'd be after;
A continuing insurance-backed guarantee that if any defects reappear in that wall within the next 10 years they'll be rectified and/or a massive price reduction
Satisfactory answers to a search for underground workings in the area
And a full structural survey to include verifying that the foundations are what they should be (not just what it says on the plans) and that the walls are properly tied to the rest of the structure (ties at rafter level and all floor levels, noggins as specced by building regs)

Then it may be a goer. Otherwise run away. Presumably you'll have to declare that work when you try and insure the place (if you end up buying it)- that may give you problems.

run don't walk

over time this problem will simply grow and in the future your insurer will ask if you knew about the problem, and because you did your house insurer will walk away siting a [what is called in insurance terms] a Pre existing condition.

So any insurance claim you make will be declined as far as damage resulting from bad workmanship [another area where your Insurer will decline a claim]

I am sceptical as to the efficacy of any Insurance backed so called Guarantees? they may not "fully cover" a pre existing defect?

Run don't walk, if the builder got such a simple thing wrong where is the next defect going to show up

Sponsored Links
If at all possible back out and now and dont look back or somewhere down the line you,ll regret it. and do not pay 1 ounce of attention to anything the nhbc say after some of the things ive seen them let go in my last 12 months back on site id not trust them to inspect a dog kennel

I frequently have clients coming to me for surveys saying they have been advised that they only need the homebuyers survey as it's new build. Yet consistently I find more serious problems with new build construction than I do in old buildings. The NHBC are in the business of refusing claims and employing technical inspectors who find nothing wrong, they are a terrible organisation to deal with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back