Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace living room light fitting which is not usually a difficult task, however moved in with partner and i am baffled as all his downstairs lights are linked to livingroom light rose. What i find most confusing is there is a blue and red joined together in one of them blocks????? There are pics on my album of both the ceiling fitting and the front room light switch
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
looks like all the blacks are neutrals, the reds are all lives except for the one with the blue, and the yellow is a switched live for the light..
( the red and blue is a switched live to a second light / wall lights in the same room? )

There are 2 wall lights in the same room, so a double switch. Would appreciate advice on how to fit the ceiling light rose, it is just a bog standard ceiling pendant light.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out which of the black & reds go to the wall lights, which is your live neutral feed in, which is the live neutral out to other lights(possibly) & then see the wikki for 1-way lighting as to how to connect. You will not be able to connect all the wires into a standard ceiling rose if indeed they all supply both the ceiling & wall lights.

what is the block with the red and blue wire there for? I have sorted which is the switch set, its just the knowing where the yellow goes

The blue and yellow should really have a red sleeve on them to signify they are lives.
Yellow looks like the switch live for the living rm centre light, so this will connect to the L terminal on this light.
The blue wire is the other switch live for a different light - the red which it connects to will go to the wall lights?? Leave these two connected together for now.
If you connect all the other reds together and to nothing else, all blacks together and to the N terminal.
All earths together and to the earth terminal.
See if that works - some lights might stay on. If they do you need to identify which red live wire connects to which light and connect them to the yellow or blue wire as appropriate.

I said all of this back up there.. :rolleyes:

all the blacks are neutrals ( so put them in the terminals marked N ), all the reds are lives ( so put them in the LOOP terminal ), except for the one that's in with the blue ( leave these alone ) and they yellow is the switched live ( so put this in the switched live terminal.. ).

earths in the earth terminal..

I said all of this back up there.. :rolleyes:

No you didn't, you said:
looks like all the blacks are neutrals, the reds are all lives except for the one with the blue, and the yellow is a switched live for the light..
( the red and blue is a switched live to a second light / wall lights in the same room? )
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The blue and yellow should really have a red sleeve on them to signify they are lives.
Yellow looks like the switch live for the living rm centre light, so this will connect to the L terminal on this light.
The blue wire is the other switch live for a different light - the red which it connects to will go to the wall lights?? Leave these two connected together for now.
If you connect all the other reds together and to nothing else, all blacks together and to the N terminal.
All earths together and to the earth terminal.
See if that works - some lights might stay on. If they do you need to identify which red live wire connects to which light and connect them to the yellow or blue wire as appropriate.
I was thinking along those lines but why a seperate switch if using the same switch wire? I thought crazybabes should identify things a little better rather than guessing. :confused:

All they appear to have done is run a 3c+e down to the switch position and use a 2 gang switch to provide two switch lives (yellow and blue) with the red being permanent live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back