Bathrrom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a new bathroom light.
Could any one tell me if I have gone about this the correct way.
The new light has only 2 connections which aren't marked and an earth which is marked. The old light has 9 wires running to a ceiling rose.

I have taken the 3 red wires from the central block in the ceiing rose and connected them together using a terminal block.
I have taken the two balck wires which were connected to the blue neatral on the ceiling rose and joined them. I then connected them to the left connector of the new light fitting.
I then took the red wire which was connected to the brown Live on the ceiling rose and connected it to the right connector on the new light fitting.
I then took the 3 earths and joined them and connected them to the earth connection on the new fitting.

Does this sound like it is correct?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me.
(Take a look at the red conductor that connects to the fitting it will probably be a black cable with red sleeving on it).

Thats where I had to pay attention on disconnecting the original wiring from the ceiling rose.
The cable comming from the switch contained two red wires and an earth so I made a note of which one was connecting to the brown wire in the ceiling rose.

How unusual to see:

1) Twin red being used for switch cables

2) Someone making careful notes - excellent job!

Sponsored Links
On the new light fitting, because the two terminals are not marked with Live and Neutral I assumed that it didn't matter which was used for Live etc.
Am I right in assuming this or is there a correct way to determine which terminal should be used for the Live.
The bulb is an ESB (if that is a screw in bulb).

Thanks

ban-all-sheds said:
How unusual to see:

1) Twin red being used for switch cables

2) Someone making careful notes - excellent job!

I have twin red for the switches all over my house. Made life easier for me when I was extending recently!

ES (Edison Screw) luminaires should ALWAYS be wired so that the centre pin is live and the outer screw is neutral. This is very important, and, over here, required by the Wiring Regs.

ban-all-sheds said:
ES (Edison Screw) luminaires should ALWAYS be wired so that the centre pin is live and the outer screw is neutral. This is very important, and, over here, required by the Wiring Regs.
i belive that requirement depends on the type of ES lampholder.

i think he means because not all ES lamp holders have the outer "thread" connected to anything, it is isolated.(only the bottom bit, adjacent the centre point is connected)

trouble is the thread on the lamp isn't, so if it is connected the"wrong way" the thread of the lamp can still be live

OK.

Seems a fine distinction, and it'd be easier to stick to the "live to the centre pin" rule than bothering to check what sort of lampholder you had...

Are you guys saying that one of the terminals on the light fitting leads to a centre pin that the end of the bulb connects to and so this should be the live terminal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back