Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been dealing with a joiner who's making a door for me. I was initially advised 4 weeks. 5 months later I've finally received the door but internal dimensions are a few cm out and rather than insulation wood sandwich it's single panel. I've complained and joiner gas offered to make replacement but is insisting I send the current door back first. He's also refusing to refund at the moment. I'm worried raft I'll end up with another long wait or no door at all. I think he also expects me to arrange courier to return the door which would be another expense.

I wouldn't have thought it would be unreasonable for me to hang onto the door until the new one arrives but he's not happy with that.

I'd welcome any advice on options and usual practice.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
junglejim01, Hi.

Suggest that you send [or re-send] your specification for the door to the joiner, that is the dimension's, composition as agreed some time ago.

Send this information preferably by e mail, or by recorded next day delivery.

That way if the replacement door is still not fit for purpose then you may? have a case against the Joiner if he mucks up again.

Given the tardy provision of the door by the joiner, see if it is possible to impose a time line for provision of a bespoke door or put bluntly he will not get paid for all of the work he has undertaken [provision of two doors]

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Always keep a paper trail such as email, this allows you to have some record of the details when dealing with problems such as these, glad to hear it has been resolved.

Back