Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm due to have some windows replaced shortly by a reputable UK company. I had a surveyor attend my property a couple of weeks ago. Whilst he has at my house, I didn't want to be hovering around him so I told him I would be in the next room if he needed me.

Now, I was under the impression that he was there to take measurements and measurements only. I was wrong to assume this.

I received a letter earlier this week advising me that there was a problem with my order. The problem was that asbestos had been detected and that this would need to be professionally removed before they could continue.

Supplied with the letter was an asbestos test certificate confirming the "sample taken" had shown up as positive. I was completely dumbfounded. I wasn't aware the surveyor had taken a sample as he didn't advise me or ask my permission to do so. I heard him open one of my upstairs windows but didn't think anything more of it.

On closer inspection, I have a thumb sized hole in my soffit board - just directly above where the window opens. He's obviously put his thumb through the board in order to take a sample. He's then traipsed back through my house with this sample and left my soffit exposed.

He didn't ask me for my permission, did not advise me, took the sample from INSIDE my house, left a hole in my soffit board as a result and didn't wear gloves or any other protective clothing. It was a total reckless and stupid move. He didn't even have the decency to tell me there was a hole in my soffit board that I might want to consider patching over.

I'm so angry that I've just run the window company to file a formal complaint. I am thinking of taking legal advice and suing the company for gross negligence. I've had asbestos removed from my house before by a licensed contractor so I'm fully aware of the dangers and risks involved.

Has anyone else had the same/similar happen to them? Any views or advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Try posting this in the correct section. Probably BUILDING or WINDOWS and DOORS

Sponsored Links
Back