Advice of skimming this wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just purchased an ex-council property, built around the 1960's, I've removed all the wallpaper and found lots of blown plaster that needed removing.

You can see on the wall in the attached images, some of the old plaster and below is a type of cement render. (I plan on removing the last bit of old plaster there fyi)

Would anyone be able to tell me what exactly that cement render is? is it just a normal cement or lime?

It was clearly set up for skimming, clearly being keyed.

I plan on using PVA and then re-skim with multi-finish but I am concerned if its lime I need to use lime plaster

If it's cement, I have read some people suggest using different types of products to seal the cement to stop it pulling in so quickly to prevent cracking, the cement is quite dusty, if you rub your finger over it, you get cement/dust on your finger.

As I am a novice plasterer, I am considering also putting a thin layer of bonding over the whole wall to create a surface more easier to skim but again would love any advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• pic1.jpeg
    pic1.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 92
  • pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it hard like cement or soft like a backing plaster?

Looks like sand and cement

Being that's been plastered over I can't see how that's lime.
Block walls?

Sponsored Links
Behind the walls are breeze block, then insulation then brick

So if indeed it is sand and cement render, would a standard pva 2x and skim with multifinish be the best option?

I thought normal cement was a more darker grey colour?

Thanks, also in some areas, the cement is cracking and can be pulled off, what would be the best solution to replace broken cement?

I think I would like to go with just fixing the cracked and broken cement render and skimming, there are not many cracks or areas that need to be fixed, its all quite good. The areas that are cracked dont go all the way back to the brick, would using bonding not be suitable to level the wall?

Thanks so much for your answers, yes I did mean bonding coat. I do intend to use cement on at least 1 part of the wall because it's an exterior wall (The window wall) Ive read those gypsum products, like bonding or hardwall can draw moisture and potentially cause damp problems if used on walls that can become damp.

For the window exterior wall I plan on patching the cement render with Weber OCR one-coat plaster, the gap it needs to fill is about 1m width by 20cm height above the window, just below the ceiling and then key, wait to cure and then skim over it, would that be suitable or do you have any recommendations on cement to use? It will be up against the brick here and I also believe there is a little bit of wood it would sit up against to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back